COVID-19 Information - How we're responding
Following the changes announced by the government for COVID-19 on 1st June, Surfing England issued the following guidance:
‘The government has confirmed that groups of up to 6 can meet outside from Monday 1st June 2020, provided people from different households observe social distancing by keeping two metres apart.
This is good news for surf schools as coaches can now work with groups of up to 5, as long as they are able to maintain the highest standards of water safety whilst meeting the government’s guidance on social distancing and hygiene.
The maximum ratio for group lessons will be 1 instructor to 5 customers, giving a maximum group size of 6.’
In addition to this from 4th July, social distancing measures have been changed stating people should either stay 2m apart or ‘1m plus’ – which is one meter plus mitigations. Being outdoors is considered a mitigation.
What this means for SSS
We simply can’t wait to get back to what we do best… teaching surfing and having fun!
As SSS is a Mobile Surf School and all activity is outdoors it doesn’t mean a huge amount of changes. However, we have been through everything we do very carefully to make sure we keep our staff and customers as safe as possible when they are with us by applying the government and Surfing England guidelines. See below for details.
When booking your lesson and on arrival at the surf school our team will ask you a few additional health related questions. Please don’t be offended – this is to keep you and our other customers and employees safe. The team will ask:
- In the last two weeks have you travelled abroad, had any of the Covid-19 symptoms, or been in contact with anybody else that has had Covid-19?
- Or, are you in any of the high risk groups for Covid-19?
Booking your lesson
- All lessons will need to be pre-booked by the usual booking options – on our website, by email, phone or WhatsApp.
- Full payment will be taken when booking. We can no longer accept cash payments so all bookings will need to be paid for either on the website, by PayPal or by bank transfer.
- Please ensure you follow the signposting displaying COVID-19 social distancing and health and safety measures.
- Please ensure you are wearing your swimwear. You will have the option to change outdoors or in the changing tent provided.
- You will be asked to sign the waiver form using a clipboard and pen if you haven’t brought along a signed waiver form downloaded from our website.
During the lesson
- Our instructors will spend plenty of time with you ahead of entering the sea, assessing your skill level and making sure you are prepped for your lesson, we will need to assess the conditions on the day to ensure it is safe for us all to be in the water.
- Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, we will be less hands on than we have been previously – we won’t be able to push or pull you on the boards, however we can give you heaps of verbal feedback to help enhance those water skills.
After the lesson
- Follow the signage and instructors guidance to return your board and kit safely.
- Our outdoor shower is there for anybody that would like to use it, on a one person at a time basis.
- We have invested in cleaning products that have been medically proven to kill COVID-19 so you can be sure that our equipment and wetsuits are clean. Each item will be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each lesson.
- There will be hand sanitiser and hand washing facilities available at the Surf Van.
- Our staff follow the good hygiene guidelines set by the government for COVID-19 and we will encourage all our customers to do the same whilst they are with us.
We hope that all of this information helps give you that warm feeling that you will be looked after with us and we have done everything we can to follow the guidelines set by Surfing England and the Government.
If you have any questions at all, please ask! Otherwise we simply cannot wait to see you all and have some fun in the waves!!!
All the best,
SSS Surf School xxx