improver surf lessons
keep improving to stay motivated and take your surfing to the next level
You’ve had a few surf lessons already, and you’ve caught the bug like the rest of us! If you’re comfortable catching waves and popping to your feet, the improver surf lessons would be the perfect next step. With a combination of the right coaching, equipment, and conditions, we’ll help you to progress your surfing skills and take things up a notch.
During the lesson we’ll coach you to assess the water and conditions, whilst improving your technique – moving you from the white wash to safely catching green waves. You’ll learn how to improve your turning techniques and riding skills, enabling you to ride bigger waves and have more fun.
You’ll ride a board suited to your current surfing level from the SSS range of specialist boards. From Softtech Brain Child boards to Ben Skinner carbon fibre long boards, each board will be chosen to push your surfing skills and maximise your progression.
See how we’re adapting our lessons for COVID-19 to ensure we’re following Government guidelines.
£40 per person
what to expect
- 1 x 2 hour surfing lesson
- Surf on one of our top-of-the-range surfboards suited to your skill level
- Wear one of our top of the range O’Neill wetsuits that will keep you warm in all weather
- Surf warm-up
- Surf condition assessment and safety
- Advice on safely manoeuvring inside waves
- Advice on good board control and awareness of other surfers and your surroundings
- Assessment of your surfing technique and ability
- Coaching on wave priority rules
- How to control speed and direction
- How to turtle roll/duck dive depending of skill level and conditions
- How to achieve a better stance
- Introduction to paddling outback
- Introduction to turning the board
- Introduction to catching small green waves
- Introduction to surfing down the line
Stuart is an incredible teacher and fully supportive from every wave caught to every time you completely wipe out. In just a matter of months we were heading outback to catch even bigger waves. I felt confident that I would be able to catch these waves by myself and felt completely safe. Surfing with Stuart is always a great experience and lots of fun.
Massive thanks to Stu and the team for running a fantastic team building afternoon for myself and 9 colleagues. We had a mix of abilities in the group but even the most novice surfers amongst us managed to get up on the board. It was a great way to get out of the office and do something different to get to know each other better.
I have always surfed but never regularly until I moved to Newquay and started surfing with SSS. Stuart is a great teacher and has given me the extra confidence and techniques to go out and do it every day (surf permitting). At 45 years old I’m surfing better than I ever did. Plus I have a huge 'man crush' on Stuart.
Three boys aged 7-11 years old had a fantastic surfing lesson with Stuart. Unlike other surf schools he has a low teacher to child ratio so the boys got his full focus. He was very patient and didn’t stop smiling and encouraging them. Brilliant set up (including hot shower) in his mobile van. Excellent value for money, cannot recommend enough. Thank you Stuart.
Highly recommend. After being coached by you In the morning they then spent all afternoon in the water practicing what you had taught them. “Tons better than body boarding” was the consensus. They are looking forward to the intermediate session we’ve got booked in a few days time. Not only have you introduced them to a new sport but have also ensured they understand how to do it safely.